[FFmpeg-user] How to filter VHS cassette artifacts

Bouke / VideoToolShed bouke at videotoolshed.com
Sat Dec 8 17:09:33 EET 2018

> On 08 Dec 2018, at 11:34, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a VOB-file, originally recorded from a VHS-Kassette.
>>
>> On the upper edge I see a black line from left to the middle.
>>
>> Approximately 5 lines from bottom I see 2..3 other horizontally shifted
>> flickering lines.
>>
>> Filter kerndeint removes the upper one, but not the lowers. But it does
>> not remove comb-like artifacts from vertical edges which bwdif perfectly
>> does.
>>
>> Do one have an idea for a filter which is restricted to only alter those
>> small lined areas?
>
> Shouldn't you just crop them?

He should as it is intended for computer display or blowing up to HD, as SD is an overscanned format, so about 10% (to tast it seems) should be cropped off.
(Hence you see so many mics dipping in the image, these are NOT mistakes, but good practice to get the mic as close as the proper framing allows.)

Bouke (who is feeling quite old now.)