[FFmpeg-user] Get exact duration of an mpeg1 file

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Thu Dec 13 18:31:11 EET 2018

On 12/13/2018 8:10 AM, Robert Krüger wrote:
> Are there command line parameters to make it compute the exact size or is
> this a design or implementation limitation?

IIRC (and I could be wrong), the generic "info" uses metadata whereas
mediainfo actually counts frames and applies the frame rate to that. Without
a container, there's no appropriate metadata.

It's easy enough to tell, if ffmpeg -i returns almost immediately, it's
probably not counting frames. You also might get a more accurate answer by
using -probesize with a parameter larger than the actual file.

Later,

z!
who's not at the right system to try this now