[FFmpeg-user] Need assistance finding l transcoding

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri Dec 14 00:03:32 EET 2018

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 20:49:56 +0000, James E. Baird wrote:
> It does need to be a CBR. It will be converted to an adaptive stream for a streaming app

It's actually ABR you're creating, if I understand correctly.

> I felt that I should get more horsepower as well and that is the main
> reason I started this thread.

My dual-core Haswell Ultrabook can handle your command line at 1.4x
(using testsrc2 input though, probably easy to encode), at preset
"fast" it drops to 0.7. But that's 2, not 8, cores.

> The biggest performance change I am seeing is changing the preset to
> ultrafast.

Unfortunately, that preset is a bandwidth hog, and will drop quality
significantly. Actually, it also lowers your profile to "Constrained
Baseline". :-(

> The other performance gain comes from combing the 3 output bitrates
> into a single command.

Sure, that's the way to go. (You need to demux and decode only once,
then.)

> Not sure if anyone has further suggestions for this?

I was hoping others had comparable benchmarks.

Moritz