[FFmpeg-user] How to fix video artifacts on ddvideo AVI?

Dave Rice dave at dericed.com
Mon Dec 17 23:31:07 EET 2018

> On Dec 14, 2018, at 9:10 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Is there a way to reduce these artifacts by using one
>> of ffmpeg's filters?
>
> I cannot rule it out but looking at the type of the artefacts
> I think it is not very likely.
> I also confirmed that the same issues are visible not using
> FFmpeg to decode.

The dv stream shows a lot of video error concealment because the data was originally stored on a dv tape and then transferred over firewire to a computer; however the dv tape player was having difficulties reading the tape (various dv dif blocks would mismatch their parity data) so many dif blocks are concealed or broken. I’d really suggest that the best way to repair this would be to work with the original tape, clean the head of the playback deck and retransfer. In a better playback environment you’ll likely get a more accurate reading of the data from the tape.
Dave Rice