[FFmpeg-user] Copy Audio

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Dec 19 10:28:40 EET 2018

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 07:22:52 +0000, Chris wrote:
> FWIW both my Sony and Canon camcorders put out PCM audio in .mp4
> containers. ffmpeg is merely being asked to copy the existing audio.

Without myself trying to take sides on this, one could argue:

  ffmpeg chooses not to create "illegal" files[1]. It is friendly enough
  to demux/decode those created by others though, allowing you to carry
  the data over.

Why do you need to create the same/similar format that Sony and Canon
do? Do you want the resulting MP4 to be read by a particular software?
Why does the audio need to be copied losslessly? Why are the MOV or
Matroska containers not alternatives?

Moritz

[1] Agreed it can in some other cases.