[FFmpeg-user] FFMPEG - area of desktop to record

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sun Jul 1 20:52:23 EEST 2018

On Sun, Jul 01, 2018 at 10:47:29 -0600, mikeB wrote:
> the recording of sound does not work - maybe someone can give me a
> pointer on this?

"Does not work" is a vary broad field. Do you get no audio in your
output? Do you get silence? Do you get noise? Or does ffmpeg error out
with an error message? Please explain, and additionally show us the
complete, uncut console output from your command.

> The main thing I'd let to know is - "is there a entry/ code that will
> make the area being recorded be a specified area of the desktop?"

Your command line is apparently taken from the Wiki:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Capture/Desktop#Linux

Below the command line you took is a remark:
"This will grab the image from desktop, starting with the upper-left
corner at x=100, y=200 with a width and height of 1024⨉768..

In other words: The input ":0.0+100,200" is a notation for the X11
display to use (:0.0), and for the position of the capture (100 x, 200
y pixels from the top left corner).

Cheers,
Moritz