[FFmpeg-user] m3u8 live stream will not play in google chrome

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Jul 25 15:36:29 EEST 2018

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 11:25:57 +0100, Anthony Griffiths wrote:
> https://video-dev.github.io/hls.js/demo/

Where's the m3u8 link in there?

(I'm retrieving the page with Opera, which uses Chromium's render, but
possibly other stuff around it... Sigh.)

> if I try to play my own m3u8 stream there it fails to play, which
> circles me back to my original ffmpeg command.
> Here's the url for my m3u8 stream:
> http://198.91.92.112:90/mobile/index.m3u8
> this url works in ms edge and vlc but not in google chrome.

Have you tried using other mime types?

Someone here:
https://stackoverflow.com/q/6438680/3974309
uses this:

AddType application/x-mpegURL .m3u8
AddType video/MP2T .ts

While you use
application/vnd.apple.mpegurl
application/octet-stream

Chrome may be picky about that - as hinted in the SO posting.
Especially the latter may be a showstopper.

Moritz.