[FFmpeg-user] Tag mp4s incompatible with output codec ?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri Jun 1 14:45:05 EEST 2018

On Fri, Jun 01, 2018 at 11:19:17 +0200, Gabriel Zachmann wrote:
> > In your case, my guess is that ffmpeg is unable to mux all the data
> > streams. If you use "map 0 -sn", ffmpeg should omit them.
>
> I have just checked; IIUC, -sn would omit the subtitles in the output - is that correct?

Sorry, I meant "-dn". "d" for data.

> Unrecognized option 'ns'.
[...]
> I must be using the option -sn wrongly.  What is the correct way?

Yes, you swapped letters. ;-) But as I wrote: "-dn".

> % ffmpeg -i "Neuroscience of VR, Congruency, pain distraction, presence, Enfacement effect, rubber hand, tools as part of the body, redirected walking - Bruno Herbelin, CERN, 2017.mp4" -map 0 -c:s copy -map_metadata 0 -map_metadata:s:v 0:s:v -map_metadata:s:a 0:s:a -c:a aac -b:a 128k -codec:v hevc -tag:v hvc1 -preset faster -crf 25 -profile:v main -x265-params "me=umh:subme=5:ref=4:aq-mode=2:aq-strength=1.0:psy-rd=2.0:psy-rdoq=1.0:rd=6:log-level=1" -f mp4 "Neuroscience of VR, Congruency, pain distraction, presence, Enfacement effect, rubber hand, tools as part of the body, redirected walking - Bruno Herbelin, CERN, 2017.mp4_converting"
>
> [libx265 @ 0x7fbae600ce00] Unable to parse option value "main"

That's interesting. libx265 should support "main":
https://github.com/videolan/x265/blob/d9b78d58b468d9dc1605e51fa05f86f2a5baf84d/source/x265.h#L1669

And you should get an error from ffmpeg if not.

> Maybe, I've got an older version of ffmpeg.

You do (from around Oct 12 2017), but that's not the point, I believe.
Updating would be very kind of you though, as it's not fun debugging
issues with old versions, assuming they may have been fixed. Though
this looks more like a usage issue.

Moritz