[FFmpeg-user] why ffplay cannot decode a sequence that can be decoded by ffmpeg

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Jun 12 00:50:50 EEST 2018

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 23:31:33 +0200, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > I'm still convinced it's either an ffplay bug, or it's intended.
> Really?

Yes. What are you implying with your question? That the behavior is
neither a bug nor is it the way ffplay was intended to behave? (Do you
not understand "or", or do you not understand "intended"?)

*I* was trying to say: If Mohammed's expectation was correct - I did
follow it for a while - then it's some sort of bug. OTOH, if this
behavior was intended, then it's obviously correct. Perhaps I should
have written: "I'm not sure this is the intended behavior." (I am now.)

(By the way, I was truly misled by the fact that I found no audio
"equivalent" of "-nodisp", and thought it implied "don't play, just
decode", when in fact it's an alias for "-vn" and the equivalent is
"-an".)

> > $ ffplay -nodisp test.aud.mp4
>
> These work as expected afaict.
>
> > $ ffplay -nodisp test.vid.mp4
>
> This can only fail afaict (and it does).

Then does it not also "work" as expected?

I find ffplay's error message misleading, but "patch surely welcome,
but no patch attached".

Moritz