[FFmpeg-user] compilation : libx264 and libx265

Lou Logan lou at lrcd.com
Mon May 7 23:41:27 EEST 2018

On Mon, May 7, 2018, at 12:12 PM, gheine at mathnmaps.com wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Trying to recompile ffmpeg on a Linux Mint 18.3 system; currently
> installed version
> is 2-3 years old and gives a lot of errors about libav1.

I am not sure of what errors you are referring to.

> The Compilation Guide (trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Ubuntu) states:
>
> "If your repository provides libx264-dev version ≥ 118,
>    then you can install that instead of compiling
>   If your repository provides libx265-dev version ≥ 68.
>    then you can install that instead of compiling"
>
> Running "apt show" on these two libraries shows the following versions
> in the repo:
>     lib264, Version  2:0.148.2643+git5c65704-1
>     lib265, Version  1.9-3
>
> Are these new enough to use in compilation ?

Yes they are recent enough, but these packages are old and you would be missing out on the newer changes (especially for libx265).

So although you can use these packages I recommend at least compiling libx265 instead of using the repo package: the guide provides instructions to do so.

Or if you don't intend on encoding using either of these encoding libraries you can skip them and remove --enable-libx264 and/or --enable-libx265 from your ffmpeg configure line.