[FFmpeg-user] Frame dropping

Gabriel Balaich roderrooder at gmail.com
Wed May 9 18:11:27 EEST 2018

> Hello,
> could you tell me how to enable "frame dropping" while decoding with ffmpeg
> ?

*"-vsync parameter*
*Video sync method. For compatibility reasons old values can be specified
as numbers. Newly added values will have to be specified as strings always.*

*0, passthrough*
*Each frame is passed with its timestamp from the demuxer to the muxer.*

*1, cfr*
*Frames will be duplicated and dropped to achieve exactly the requested
constant frame rate.*

*2, vfr*
*Frames are passed through with their timestamp or dropped so as to prevent
2 frames from having the same timestamp.*

*drop*
*As passthrough but destroys all timestamps, making the muxer generate
fresh timestamps based on frame-rate.*

*-1, auto*
*Chooses between 1 and 2 depending on muxer capabilities. This is the
default method."*

If I'm understanding you correctly -vsync should be what you are looking
for.