[FFmpeg-user] H265 conversion hardware ?

Dennis Mungai dmngaie at gmail.com
Sat May 19 00:18:55 EEST 2018

Also, check this out:

ffmpeg -hide_banner -h encoder=hevc_toolbox

Output:

Supported pixel formats: videotoolbox_vld nv12 yuv420p
hevc_videotoolbox AVOptions:
  -profile           <int>        E..V.... Profile (from 0 to 3) (default 0)
     main                         E..V.... Main Profile
     main10                       E..V.... Main10 Profile
  -allow_sw          <boolean>    E..V.... Allow software encoding
(default false)
  -realtime          <boolean>    E..V.... Hint that encoding should
happen in real-time if not faster (e.g. capturing from camera).
(default false)
  -frames_before     <boolean>    E..V.... Other frames will come
before the frames in this session. This helps smooth concatenation
issues. (default false)
  -frames_after      <boolean>    E..V.... Other frames will come
after the frames in this session. This helps smooth concatenation
issues. (default false)

Maybe you can test with that, if you have a recent Mac.

More on videotoolbox: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/videotoolbox

As you can see, it taps into the hardware-based encoders available on Mac
OSX, offering a unified API for video encoding across multiple abstractions
(Intel's QuickSync on supported Intel IGPs, etc).