[FFmpeg-user] Check the real video file container and the correctnes of meta structures

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 14:33:41 EET 2018

> Assume I got a video file "asample.mkv"
>
> The extension indicates that this is a Video+Audio in a Matroska container.

No.
(In the sense of: It may indicate this for a human being, FFmpeg
tries to ignore the extension.)

> But I doubt this is really the case. I think it could be a MP4 container as
> well and accidentially got a wrong extension.
>
> How can I let ffmpeg check the real container (not paying attention to the
> extension but at the internal structures)

Command line and complete, uncut console output missing;-)

(The behaviour you are asking for is FFmpeg's default behaviour.)

> and verify the correctness of the
> internal metastructures (header fields, trrack definitions,....)

No, FFmpeg is not a stream validator, on the contrary, it tries hard to
read files with incorrect internal metastructures.

Carl Eugen