[FFmpeg-user] avfilter: hwoverlay

Micael Silva micaelsilva at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 15:00:47 EET 2018

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 7:47 AM msanders <marksanders at protonmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As now we have many filters compatible with the GPU, and in particular
> “scale” filters. So I think we need a filter like “hwoverlay” or
> “overlay_cuda/_qsv/etc.”.
>
> With this kind of filter we can do a PiP using only a GPU pipeline:
>
> - GPU decoder --> spplit (hw) --> hwscale --> hwoverlay --> GPU encoder
>
> In fact, I feel it’s not too complex to do.
>
> What you think?
> M. Sanders

It's a good idea, although working with hardware accelerators it's never so
straightforward. It depends how that API is construct, what methods are
allowed, and many bugs and crashes surface. Hardware processing is less
flexible in many aspects.

Maybe possible, but I think that requiring more specialized people may take
more time to realize