[FFmpeg-user] Problems playing mjpeg stream at different bitrates

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 10:00:27 EEST 2018

>> Feel free to check if the size of the COM tags is correct or
>> wrong by several magnitudes.
>
> I'm new to this topic and don't know exactly what a COM marker is
> used for and how it should be. Could you please provide me some
> links about it and how I can read this tags? Thank you

The German Wikipedia is a good start, it contains all necessary
information to understand this issue:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_File_Interchange_Format

>>The playing file does not contain COM tags;-)
>
> This means the COM tag is not necessary needed to play the
> stream, but it will cause problems if the tag is wrong.

Yes, in general, commentaries are not necessary to decode
multimedia streams, broken parts of files can cause decoding
errors.

>>Which encoder are you using?
> We are using a third party camera. I don't know about the
> encoder they use.

I meant: Which brand and model is the camera?
Recognizing the encoder would make fixing your issue easier.

Carl Eugen