[FFmpeg-user] Make Output Files More Digestible / Increase Output Compatibility

Gabriel Balaich roderrooder at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 03:01:02 EEST 2018

> You should try a no-GOP codec for editing, like Prores or DNxHD/HR.
> MP4 is perfect for delivery, but not intended for editing.

Sorry for the late reply, but I thought I should get back to you after
finally
testing this. Re-encoding to DNxHR made a HUGE difference. I can
hardly believe how much better scrubbing and overall performance is in
adobe premiere after re-encoding. File size is another crappy subject
but you can't have everything.

Back with the .ts files I would wait around 20 seconds (literally) for the
preview to catch up after scrubbing at all. And after hitting play it would
play smoothly for about 2 seconds before becoming completely
un-watchable. After re-encoding I can scrub in real time with zero
hiccups and playback is flawless with a constant 60FPS.

You're a life saver!