[FFmpeg-user] review request of timecode side data in Matroska

Dave Rice dave at dericed.com
Sun Dec 15 16:26:13 EET 2019

Hi all,

I participate in the IETF cellar working group which is tasked to document the Matroska container format. Recently via https://github.com/cellar-wg/matroska-specification/pull/287/files <https://github.com/cellar-wg/matroska-specification/pull/287/files> we added a method for storing and contextualizing side data for Clusters of frames in Matroska.

In https://github.com/cellar-wg/matroska-specification/pull/348/files <https://github.com/cellar-wg/matroska-specification/pull/348/files> is a proposal for registering SMPTE 12m timecode as side data and I produced an example of such a file at https://github.com/Matroska-Org/matroska-test-files/blob/6eab19f2d8ebfaf0bffad92098bbe801614f94a9/test_files/timecode_side_data.mkv <https://github.com/Matroska-Org/matroska-test-files/blob/6eab19f2d8ebfaf0bffad92098bbe801614f94a9/test_files/timecode_side_data.mkv>. I’m sharing this example here as I’m interested in feedback from this community on the approach taken, if there would be any concerns about the potential implementation for Matroska side data or timecode as side data, and if there are any reactions or recommendations.

Best Regards,
Dave Rice