[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg output list question

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 01:58:45 EET 2019

Am So., 15. Dez. 2019 um 22:20 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
<markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:

> On 12/15/2019 02:38 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > Am So., 15. Dez. 2019 um 16:50 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak

> > FFmpeg (and digital transcoders in general) doesn't know about fields,
> > it can only work with frames. (This is also related to the specifications
> > of sane video codecs.)
>
> If ffmpeg doesn't know about fields, how can it decode interlaced content?

The mentioned specifications require that conforming decoders output
frames (that may contain interlacing artefacts), this is independent
from the used encoding method (some codecs allow field encoding -
but the decoder has to output frames for such streams). I believe the
main reason is that no displays exist (anymore) that can display
fields.

Above is not necessarily true for hevc, FFmpeg does not support
hevc interlaced decoding though.

Carl Eugen