[FFmpeg-user] What is option -level ?

Lou Logan lou at lrcd.com
Wed Feb 13 21:23:07 EET 2019

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019, at 1:11 PM, Ulf Zibis wrote:

> I'm not sure, if I need 2 passes

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to try to target a specific output file size then use two-passes. If that's not really a concern just do a single pass using -crf. See the wiki page:

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.264

> but I think, -movflags faststart could be useful.

Sure, if you are going to present the video via progressive download. Doesn't hurt if you include it either way. It just may add a few more seconds to the whole process.

> If I need 2 passes I should know about the correct syntax, "-flags pass1" or
> "-pass 1".

"-pass 1" for the first pass, then "-pass 2" for the second pass.

> I honestly don't know if I need -level

Ignore it.