[FFmpeg-user] MPEG-2 encoding problem

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Thu Feb 14 18:52:42 EET 2019

On 2/14/2019 5:46 AM, Moritz Barsnick wrote:
>  You should try "-flags +ilme+ildct". (Just a hunch, I'm not sure.)
Yes, with a leading "+".

Here's the command I use for converting content from 480p24 to NTSC "dvd"
format 480i60 (and working from memory here), the output it produces is
acceptable, and since I run it in batches, the processing time isn't
relevant to me.

ffmpeg -hide_banner -i $infile

# this forces the -input- frame rate for anything that has a little i60
#   in front of the remaining p24 content (remove fps if not needed)
-vf fps=24000/1001,telecine

# sound syn and quality (need to look up those options)
-async 1 -dc 9

# target/format flags
#  (some player s/w doesn't like TFF, so force to BFF)
-target ntsc-dvd -flags +ilme+ildct -alternate_scan 1 -top 0

-y  $outfile

I don't think you need 'scale' on the input vf since that should be taken
care of later in the process. May want to try it both ways.

If you want interlaced output, you need +ilme+ildct; that'll take more time
and produce lower-quality output. OTOH if progressive is OK, leave that
whole line out.

Later,

z!