[FFmpeg-user] What is option -level ?

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 02:06:52 EET 2019

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> thanks for your hints. Unfortunately they have been already  known to
> me, but there still remain 2 questions from my side:
> - The '+' with "-flags" arguments, I can imagine, it serves as
> separator. But is that all, has '-' another meaning too?

"+" means that the flag should be set (no effect for flags that are set
by default or by the application) , "-" that the flag should be removed
(no effect if the flag is not set by default or by the application)

> There is no explanation on this at:
> https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-codecs.html#Codec-Options

True.

> - How to determine, if global codec options (e.g. "-level") are valid
> for audio, video or both.

You cannot because it is codec-specific (so if you know the codec
you are using, you know if it - or its implementation - supports levels).

Please avoid top-posting here Carl Eugen