[FFmpeg-user] Discord Channel

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Sat Feb 23 01:32:05 EET 2019

On 2/22/2019 1:29 PM, Glenn W wrote:
> I think this would be good for ffmpeg community. Mail format is a bit dated.

It would? How? What would it add (and more importantly, what would it subtract)?

Email may be "dated" but it's endured for, what, 50 years?
AIM- gone, IRC- gone, ICQ- gone, USENET- on life support (sniff), etc

Pretty much everyone already has a method of reading it that works
_for_them_; nothing new to install and all the messages end up in one place.

Email and mailing lists serve a purpose and are often better for the kind of
text-based discussions that we have. The ffmpeg community seems to do fairly
well with them (as do many communities); I don't see this changing.

See also https://xkcd.com/1810/ :)

I don't mean to discourage you, but it seems like a solution in search of a
problem.

Later,

z!