[FFmpeg-user] ffplay on second monitor

mark at leman.net mark at leman.net
Wed Jan 16 20:46:50 EET 2019

Quoting Carl Zwanzig <cpz at tuunq.com>:

> On 1/15/2019 4:49 PM, Mark Leman wrote:
>> Is there a way to specify which screen the window appears on? (OS
>> is Windows 10)
>
> I don't offhand know if the 'dshow' device supports positioning but
> it ought to... a trip through code may be in order*; I do know the
> gdigrab device supports "-offset_x 1920 -offset_y 0 -video_size
> 800x600" which gets the second monitor on my setup.
>
> *If I'm inspired tomorrow, I'll take a look; there's a 6 hour flight
> in the near future :).

Thanks for the help.

I am not an expert at this, but I though the dshow device was the
input device? I am taking the input from vmix over this and that is
working well, I get the correct video input and scale and crop it
fine....

The problem is I want to specify where the *output* goes to, so that
the output is displayed on my second monitor which will be replaced by
the video wall (fed by HDMI). Once I use the -noborder option you can
drag the window any more, and actually dragging it is not ideal, a
command line option would be preferable :-)

I followed a suggestion from another user and looked at mpv player,
this has an option to '--screen=n' to tell it which monitor to show
the output on. Unfortunately I don't think mpv player can take the
dshow input, so I am back to ffplay as the closest option.

Regards,
Mark Leman