[FFmpeg-user] How to re encode broken mp4s

Gabriele Greco gabrielegreco at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 15:26:27 EET 2019

Il giorno mar 29 gen 2019 alle ore 11:59 Gyan <ffmpeg at gyani.pro> ha scritto:

> > - P - P - P - P - I ... but they are really I - B - B - B - B - B - B -
> I -
> > B - B - B - B - B - B - I ...
>
> Can't reproduce. With ffprobe on your sample, I get
>
>      I B B B P B B B P B B B P ...

That's interesting:

ffprobe & ffmpeg 3.4.4 was the ones I used to do this since these are the
versions we use in our toolchain, they report IPPPPPI and ffmpeg is not
able to encode a broken file to a good one.

ffprobe & ffmpeg head: works as Gyan said, reporting I BBB P BBB P BBB P
[...] and ffmpeg is able to re-encode a "broken" file producing a correct
one.

So my problem is solved, I can re-encode the files using ffmpeg head (or
maybe also 4.1).

Sorry for posting without testing the head version, usually I do it!

--
Bye,
 Gabry