[FFmpeg-user] Meaning of ffprobe output

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de
Mon Mar 11 20:53:45 EET 2019

Am 11.03.19 um 11:58 schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
> So our suspicion after visual inspection was right.
Yes, indeed.

>> So I buyed the DVD now. Except that it has 3 audio tracks to choose and
>> the VHS head switching artefacts are missing, it unfortunately has the
>> equal bad quality than my DVD recorder copy, but even has a worst colour
>> quality than my copy. The purchased DVD is not a direct telecined copy
>> from the 36 mm material (disappointing), it seem to be a capture of the
>> in earlier times provided VHS cassette, but with a better adjusted VHS
>> player, so the head switching artefacts are missing.
> Thank you for the info!
> Maybe you should buy a copy of the film?
Hey hey, and additionally a telecine machine to have a digital copy. ;-)

>> Is native vs. x264 encoder something different?
> The native (FFmpeg-internal) encoders may be a little less
> sophisticated than x264 (and they don't know a special
> adaptive interlaced setting because it didn't exist in earlier
> formats).
Does ffmpeg still use the native encoder when omitting the -c:v libx264
option?

I don't see any difference in the terminal output of ffmpeg or in the
results with ffprobe. Or in other words, how can I determine, which
encoder was used for transcoding or a given mp4?

-Ulf