[FFmpeg-user] http hangs, https not, following ubuntu build from scratch.

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Mar 19 15:01:07 EET 2019

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 16:28:48 +0700, James Northrup wrote:
> I have been having to wrap http in -i <( curl URL) using head ffmpeg on
> ubuntu 19

Interesting.

> i want to know if there is a configure switch i might've used that creates
> a situation where http is buggered.  i have two such ubuntu 19 machines
> with similar results.

This is your own built binary? You could try a binary from
https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/ for comparison.

It can't be an ffmpeg issue, https uses mostly the same code as http,
except for establishing the connection.

> Immediate exit requested

I don't know which code causes this, perhaps there's more insight from
"-loglevel debug".

Since you write that curl works, I would guess that a semi-transparent
proxy is choking on ffmpeg's implementation of the protocol, but not
curl's? Or the server's HTTP port doesn't like your source address. Or
something similarly stupid. A tcpdump/Wireshark trace might be
interesting. But try a different binary first please.

Cheers,
Moritz