[FFmpeg-user] qsv : do I really need to patch and build the kernel ?

Dennis Mungai dmngaie at gmail.com
Fri May 3 12:50:37 EEST 2019

On Fri, 3 May 2019 at 12:39, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am Fr., 3. Mai 2019 um 06:26 Uhr schrieb Dennis Mungai <dmngaie at gmail.com
> >:
>
> > See this answer on superuser for more details
> > https://superuser.com/a/1428799/473795
>
> Would you agree that this answer contains too many details?

The wiki on QuickSync https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Hardware/QuickSync only
covers one use case: The closed source Media SDK, and franky, to new users,
can be quite confusing.
The high barrier to entry (patching custom kernels, running a "Gold"
version of CentOS, etc) is burdensome.
With all due respect, that page should at the very least mention and credit
the work being done on the open source MSDK as that can be built on any
Linux distro that meets the requirements:
https://github.com/Intel-Media-SDK/MediaSDK
If that were the case, the answer I provided above would not be necessary.
Making assumptions on the user's technical capabilities in such a project,
on a user forum, is dangerously dismissive.
Providing a working set of instructions that can derive a working FFmpeg
build that a user can modify to his/her needs isn't "too much details".