[FFmpeg-user] stuck on ffmpeg version 2.8.15

Gabriella Han gabbyghan at gmail.com
Mon May 6 23:07:12 EEST 2019

Thanks. It still downloads ffmpeg version 2.8.15 even after I removed
ffmpeg and installed with the instructions in the Compilation Guide. When I
try to run sudo apt-get install ffmpeg again, I get:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
ffmpeg is already the newest version (7:2.8.15-0ubuntu0.16.04.1).
required:
  apt-clone archdetect-deb containerd dmeventd dmraid dpkg-repack
  gir1.2-timezonemap-1.0 gir1.2-xkl-1.0 grub-common kpartx kpartx-boot
  libappstream3 libdbusmenu-gtk4 libdebian-installer4
libdevmapper-event1.02.1
  libdmraid1.0.0.rc16 liblockfile-bin liblockfile1 liblvm2app2.2
  liblvm2cmd2.02 libmircommon5 libparted-fs-resize0 libqmi-glib1 libqpdf17
  libreadline5 lockfile-progs lvm2 os-prober pmount python3-icu python3-pam
  rdate runc snapd-login-service ubiquity-casper ubiquity-ubuntu-artwork
  ubuntu-core-launcher
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

This is odd because 2.8.15 is not the newest version to my understanding.