[FFmpeg-user] stuck on ffmpeg version 2.8.15

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue May 7 01:36:19 EEST 2019

On Mon, May 06, 2019 at 21:06:46 +0200, Peter B. wrote:

> I'm not sure if ffmpeg-user is actually the right place for this, since
> it's a packaging issue.

We can try to help here, but this indeed looks like an issue with
handling repositories. (I'm somewhat lost with Debian derivatives
myself.)

> $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonathon/ffmpeg-3

Note that a much more up-to-date repo exists: "ffmpeg-4" (obviously):
ppa:jonathonf/ffmpeg-4

I second your (Peter's) "static builds" suggestion.
https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/

Moritz