[FFmpeg-user] Reducing video file size

Ted Park kumowoon1025 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 20:18:23 EET 2019

> Hm. Well is it possible to get down to 6 MB per minute, 1 MB per 10 seconds?

Oookay so 1MB = 1000KB = 976.5625KiB = 7812.5kbps.. Odd numbers @_@ is this for the whole file? Or video only?

That sounds like a pretty typical target for 1080p, but like others have said you’ll have to try out all the options you listed that can use and see what the trade-offs are. If you know you definitely prioritize “x” then you can eliminate some of the options.

For example, for multi-pass encodings, the bitrate can vary so while it may be 6MB per min at one point in the video, it might be over 1MB per 10 seconds in some other part.

Also, I’m not sure about this but changing to grayscale might not decrease the bitrate as much as you’d expect, depending on the source format.

What is the source actually? I had thought you were trying to transcode a file, have I completely misunderstood? (Like do you have an intermediate format from a 4K 60fps sequence job or something other?)