[FFmpeg-user] FFplay sync ext

Bouke / VideoToolShed bouke at videotoolshed.com
Sat Nov 23 13:48:53 EET 2019

Hi all,
Seeking a way to slave video playback to an external clock.
(Meaning, jump to specific position and restart playing if the difference between current playback time and external clock is too big.)
Now, FFplay seems pretty simple, but I cannot find anything to control it besides the keyboard. Sending keystrokes seems awkward…

There is a -sync ext option, when I use that the video plays, and I notice a very small speed change in playback.
So what is ‘ext’ ?
Can I input something while playing? Where, what?

Or is FFplay not the tool for this?
(Using python / QT, any other options?)

Bouke

www.VideoToolShed.com