[FFmpeg-user] Licensing fees

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 17:10:28 EEST 2019

> Am 22.09.2019 um 13:09 schrieb Spencer Graves <spencer.graves at prodsyse.com>:
>
>       The Wikipedia article on FFmpeg says, "License:  LGPL 2.1+, GPL 2+
> Unredistributable if compiled with NVIDIA Performance Primitives." That comment has a footnote saying, "FFmpeg can be configured to make it proprietary and unredistributable software, because NVIDIA Performance Primitives, an optional external library, is proprietary software and cannot be distributed under the terms of the GPL."

It is true that FFmpeg can be built in three ways: Either as binary distributable under the terms of the GPL, or distributable under the terms of the LGPL or not legally distributable.
The main reason for a binary that you are not allowed to distribute is the combination of an external library under GPL (like libx264) and a library with a GPL-incompatible license like decklink or libfdk-aac.

(I believe the NVIDIA situation has changed but I may misremember.)

The FFmpeg project only distributes source code, no products.

>             1.  If anyone has any information that contradicts this, I want to know -- especially I want a solid, reputable source that can be cited in that Wikipedia article.

Like a public mailing list?

>             2.  Otherwise, this would seem to answer the question: You should read the LGPL and GPL and perhaps consult an attorney, but I think this means that a small company can bundle their proprietary software with FFMPEG, and distribute their device without paying a license fee to FFmpeg.

Independently of the size of your company, you cannot pay “license fees” to FFmpeg. Only your IP lawyer knows if other entities request such fees (the FFmpeg developers do not know) but see:
http://ffmpeg.org/legal.html

> Of course, if the product is successful, one might expect that the small company donates to FFmpeg and may even pay some of their own people to help develop FFmpeg so it becomes a better product for everyone else in the future.

Nothing wrong with that although no such “expectation” exists.

Please remember not to top-post on this mailing list.

Carl Eugen