[FFmpeg-user] wrong colors in animated GIF

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 16:31:33 EEST 2019

Am Do., 26. Sept. 2019 um 15:25 Uhr schrieb Michael Koch
<astroelectronic at t-online.de>:

> Am 26.09.2019 um 15:06 schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
> > Am Do., 26. Sept. 2019 um 15:00 Uhr schrieb Michael Koch
> > <astroelectronic at t-online.de>:
> >
> >> I'm using this animated GIF as input http://gosper.org/sidereal.gif
> >> and process it with the most simple FFmpeg command line:
> >>
> >> ffmpeg -i sidereal.gif -y out.gif
> > Did you also try the following "most simple FFmpeg commamd line"?
> > ffmpeg -i sidereal.gif -qscale 2 out.avi
>
> ok, that works fine.

I just wanted to point out that you tested with a highly unusual
command line that produced a several-hundred-MB file when
it worked in the past.

> >> Why are the colors wrong in the output?
> > I suspect you didn't read about gif encoding with FFmpeg.
> > (This is a known regression but unlikely to get fixed, output
> > files were absurdly big.)
>
> No, I didn't read about gif encoding. I did use other examples with gif
> output before and there were no problems.

There definitely were problems, you probably missed them.
(The colours were off unless you used so few that you couldn't see
the difference.)

Javier has posted a command line, this is the original blog post:
http://blog.pkh.me/p/21-high-quality-gif-with-ffmpeg.html
Googling for "ffmpeg gif" shows many pages.

Note that your sample file gets significantly smaller without
any quality loss.

Carl Eugen