[FFmpeg-user] Listing the hardware accelerators

Michael Koch astroelectronic at t-online.de
Fri Sep 27 10:14:07 EEST 2019

Am 26.09.2019 um 23:06 schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
> Am Do., 26. Sept. 2019 um 21:13 Uhr schrieb Verachten Bruno
> <gounthar at gmail.com>:
>
>> I have different environments (X86, ARM, Jetson Nano) on which I'd like to
>> use hardware encoders and decoders if available.
>> I guess that I won't be able to use them if they have not been built in the
>> ffmpeg dependencies if I install a "generic" version.
>> Will the configure command autodetect what it should build, or do I have to
>> know my hardware before launching configure with specific options?
>> I have read https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro but it's not clear to
>> me yet.
>> Is there any way to have ffmpeg list what it has "found" on my system?
>> Do I have to launch a series of commands with the different accelerators
>> that exist, and see the output?
> Are you searching for this command?
> $ ffmpeg -hwaccels

 From the documentation:
"-hwaccels   List all hardware acceleration methods supported in this
build of ffmpeg."

Does that mean
a) List all hardware acceleration methods supported in this build of
ffmpeg, regardless if the hardware is really built into this computer,
or does it mean
b) List all hardware acceleration methods supported in this build of
ffmpeg and this hardware is really available in this computer?

Michael