[FFmpeg-user] Failed to open codec in avformat_find_stream_info

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 13:53:53 EEST 2020

On 04/01/2020 04:21 AM, Ted Park wrote:
>> Of course you are considering that possibility. No issue there. One word: AnyDVD-HD.
>
> That is one interesting tool… So that handles decryption on the fly, and you can access the disc as a transparent UDF if I understand correctly.

Correct.

> Looks like the maintainer is pretty diligent in keeping a database of encryption keys as well as keeping the tool’s host keys valid whenever they are “poisoned” by a user, seems unreal, I’m sure it’s worth its price tag :o

Correct. I'm a lifetime user.

> Did you make an exact copy of the disc, like to a disc image file? Or are you reading straight from the disc, with the tool in the middle?

I usually make an ISO on my SS RAID-0 (drive C:), mount it, and read that. However, in this case,
speed was not an issue -- I went to bed -- so I ffmpeg'ed the BD directly in the drive.

> The folder/file hierarchy is one of the few things well known and relatively consistent in format, that’s how libbluray would find the playlist. Then it executes the playlist to determine which media files, and the range within the files to read.

Ah, so it's automatic.

Test:
What I'll try is making the ISO on the SS RAID, mount it, and ffmepg the mounted ISO to my 16TB JOBD
media server (as I usually do). ...It's hard to imagine that BD drive latency was the source of the
failure -- the BD drive is built-in and is fast -- but this will be a conclusive test.

> Either way, even if the copy protection has been defeated, if you have the intact disc filesystem you will need to specify the root BDMV directory/mount point...

That would be G:\ (i.e., the 1st of 4 virtual disc drives -- I can have 4 ISOs mounted at the same
time so I can do simultaneous batch transcodes of 4 movies while I sleep).

> ...and the playlist if it isn’t auto-detected with the bluray: scheme and its parameters, so ffmpeg can use libbluray to seek in the BD specific transport streams.

Is there any way to '-loglevel debug' while conducting a rehearsal? Heck, is there any way to
conduct a rehearsal (i.e., testing everything needed for actual transcoding without actually
transcoding)?

> You know how DVD menus, content and sub pictures/subtitles are basically one giant continuously running program implemented in special DVD “machine code” and basically run on tiny virtual machines? Well, blu-ray’s are different, but they are definitely no less complex. The “playlist” isn’t a plaintext listing but at least partially consists of machine code that drives the blu-ray “vm” complete with state machines and registers just like a DVD has.

I'm aware of drive encryption. AnyDVD-HD patches on the fly. Some BDs are shown as inflated by 30
bytes or so, some are 100 Mbytes larger, some are even slightly smaller! AnyDVD-HD performs some
awesome mojo. It boggles the mind.

Thanks a lot, Ted. I'll post back on the results of the ISO test. I'm going to bed for now. It's
been a long night (US, EST).

Regards,
Mark.