[FFmpeg-user] telecine pattern 5555 - Judder-free, 60 FPS telecine (?)

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sun Apr 5 13:21:47 EEST 2020

On Sun, Apr 05, 2020 at 04:23:35 -0400, Mark Filipak wrote:
> Those are the facts. I don't think 5-5-5-5 telecine to 60fps has ever been done before. Some people
> are opposed to it as though it is religious heresy. That's not going to stop me.

Combing may be more visible than judder. But this is totally up to you.

> I hope that someone will respond to it. But even without decombing, I consider the 60fps video to be
> superior to any 2-3-2-3 pull-down telecine because I hate judder.

Now you've combed your content, why do you want to decomb?

And here you write:
> Once transcoded to 60fps, why would I ever reverse it?

But didn't you just request to decomb? You lost me there.

I'm under the impression that I get judder-free playback from anything
from 24000/1001 up to 60 fps material on my TV fed from a PVR as media
player, but I can't tell you which component does conversion to achieve
a nice display. I do realize that some people like to upconvert their
material to 60 or 120 fps. The Universal Media Server (UMS) and its
derivates does have capability to do this, you might want to check out
how they achive it. (I think they call it InterFrame and True Motion.)

Moritz