[FFmpeg-user] Preparing to compile ffmpeg from git source -- stuck

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 02:43:24 EEST 2020

Am Mo., 13. Apr. 2020 um 01:33 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
<markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:

> On 04/12/2020 07:24 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > Am Mo., 13. Apr. 2020 um 01:18 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
> > <markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:
> >
> >> I'd like to give the path described by the ffmpeg docs a try. If that
> >> doesn't work, then I'll try your path. Okay?
> >
> > Obviously not.
> >
> > But otoh: What else should I have expected?

> I don't know why it's *obviously not* okay to follow the path outlined
> in the ffmpeg docs, but so be it.
>
> I don't know what you mean by "What else should I have expected?"

I suggested to use wsl because that is how I compile FFmpeg on Windows
and this works (surprisingly) fast and very similar to compiling on other
platforms.
Last time I tested msys, it was not fast, I don't know if this has changed.
I consider installing wsl simple, last time I installed msys, it was less
simple, I don't know if this has changed.

I suspect the "ffmpeg docs" (not sure what exactly you mean with it) were
written before wsl existed.

But given our exchange so far, I wasn't extremely surprised that you
did not want to follow what I suggested.

If you absolutely want to cross-compile from a Linux box for Windows,
this also works fine but I always only saw disadvantages. That is why
I suggested wsl.

Carl Eugen