[FFmpeg-user] Requesting to add a new book to the "Books about FFmpeg" section?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sat Apr 18 01:57:19 EEST 2020

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 15:44:54 -0400, John Riselvato wrote:
> It's a full-color book and I'm only getting 5 USD per sale because of the
> number of pages. So even if I sold 100 books (which I've yet to sell a
> single book since releasing it 2 days ago) I would barely cover a week of
> the 2 months I spend writing it, plus editing and cover art. I'm never
> going to make the money back on this project it's just a resume builder
> during this time I don't have a job because of the virus. I'm returning the
> favor by creating a book to hopefully introduce the API to the next
> generation of FFmpeg users.

This is totally legit. (Unless you're only scraping other people's
support efforts. :->)

While you *can* sell open source software under certain conditions -
even if it's not yours - that is quite frowned upon. On the other hand,
making a business out of support for open source software is accepted
and widespread. Even SuSE and Redhat and many many others live off this
(and off other services and prorietary enhancements of course).

Disclaimer: I haven't seen your book yet. :-)

Moritz