[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg architecture question

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 20:31:46 EEST 2020

Am Sa., 18. Apr. 2020 um 19:27 Uhr schrieb pdr0 <pdr0 at shaw.ca>:

> Carl Eugen Hoyos-2 wrote
> > Am Sa., 18. Apr. 2020 um 00:53 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
> > <
>
> > markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg@
>
> > >:
> >
> >> I'm not using the 46 telecine anymore because you introduced me to
> >> 'pp=linblenddeint'
> >> -- thanks again! -- which allowed me to decomb via the 55 telecine.
> >
> > Why do you think that pp is a better de-interlacer than yadif?
> > (On hardware younger that's not more than ten years old.)
>
> It's not a question of "better" in his case.
>
> It's a very specific scenario - He needs to keep that combed frame, as a
> single frame to retain the pattern.

I know, while I agree with all other developers that this is useless,
I have explained how it can be done.

> Single rate deinterlacing by any method
> will cause you to choose either the top field or bottom field, resulting in
> a duplicate frame or the prior or next frame - and it's counterproductive
> for what he wanted (blend deinterlacing to keep both fields as a single
> frame)

(To the best of my knowledge, this is technically simply not true.)

yadif by default does not change the number of frames.
(Or in other words: It works just like the pp algorithms, only better)

Carl Eugen