[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg architecture question

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 03:44:04 EEST 2020

Am Sa., 18. Apr. 2020 um 21:32 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
<markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:

> Regarding deinterlace, Carl Eugen, I'm not trying to deinterlace.

pp=linblenddeint is a (very simple) deinterlacer, once upon a
time it was the preferred deinterlacer for some users, possibly
because of its low performance requirements.
telecine=pattern=5 produces one interlaced frame out of five
(assuming non-static input).

Carl Eugen

PS:
Note that you have a different definition of "interlaced" than
FFmpeg due to the fact that you only think of analogue video
transmission which FFmpeg does not support. FFmpeg can
only deal with digital video frames, so "interlace" within
FFmpeg is not a process but a property of (some) frames. I
believe you call this property "combing".
Or in other words: FFmpeg does not offer any explicit
"deinterlacing" capabilities, only different filters for decombing
that we call deinterlacers (like linblenddeint, bwdif and yadif).

PPS:
I know very well that even inside FFmpeg there are several
definitions of "interlaced frames". But since we discuss filters
in an FFmpeg filter chain, neither decoding field-encoded
mpeg2video or paff streams nor mbaff or ildct encoding are
relevant, only the actual content of single frames is which can
be progressive or interlaced (for you: "not combed" or
"combed") which is - in theory and to a very large degree in
practice - independent of the encoding method.