[FFmpeg-user] Glossary? [was: Re: Keyframe]

Rob Hallam ffmpeg at roberthallam.com
Tue Apr 21 14:07:18 EEST 2020

> On 04/21/2020 02:12 AM, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:
>
> > One kind of documentation that I haven't seen around ffmpeg which I
> think might be very helpful is a
> > glossary.

Agreed. While many won't read it before posting it is at least something
that could be pointed to in replies, FAQs, docs etc. Given the amount of
time spent trying to get people to use terminology consistently, it should
be a net win; or at least save some typing.

Lots of information is available but spread out. Some terms are defined on
old, closed StackOverflow questions (with reference back to this ML), eg:

https://stackoverflow.com/a/3199582/4647265
http://ffmpeg-users.933282.n4.nabble.com/What-does-the-output-of-ffmpeg-mean-tbr-tbn-tbc-etc-td941538.html

It's not a problem when it can be found, but it would be useful for folks
learning to have it consolidated in one place.

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 at 07:30, Mark Filipak <
markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've written a glossary. Should I post it? ...Warning: It's bound to be
controversial.

Yes. The cliché is 'patches welcome', though obviously I don't speak for
the project. If nothing else, I would be interested in reading/referring to
a glossary.

Cheers,
Rob