[FFmpeg-user] Can't write packet with unknown timestamp

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 18:06:43 EEST 2020

PS: Just to make it clear, I don't think the PTS errors when I try to transcode BD movies is a real
problem with 'telecine=pattern=5' or 'interlace' or any of the modulo splits. I think it's a memory
management problem in ffmpeg that is being exposed by what I'm doing.

I know I'm mixing threads here, and I'm sorry about that. The 55-telecine works so well with short
videos and it fails with full length movies, all full length movies, and in the same places, and in
the same ways.

On 04/24/2020 09:56 AM, Paul B Mahol wrote:
> On 4/24/20, Mark Filipak <markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You have not tried playing with dvd protocol of mplayer by any chance?
>>
>> I tried. The dvd protocol wants a number (1, 2, 3, ...), not a drive letter
>> (H: in this case), so I
>> couldn't get it to work.
>
> Ugh, that makes no sense, consult mplayer documentation and use google.

I did consult mplayer documentation, Paul. And Google's useless for stuff like this: A half million
hits showing "How to play videos". When the person doing the search (me) is so unsure, forming a
meaningful search string is difficult. You folks are the pros. I hope you can provide the guidance.

Look, this is really a side trip. I just wanted to see whether 55-telecine would work with a DVD
video that's as long running as the BD videos -- the ones that ffmpeg can't 55-telecine without PTS
errors. PTS errors is what really needs to be fixed. For now, this is just a distraction.

Carl Eugen reminded me of 'mplayer -dumpstream'. As you know, I've been rather busy lately. Well, I
can't get 'mplayer -dumpstream' to work with a string of VOBs. ...But it's just a distraction.