[FFmpeg-user] install on centos fail

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Aug 5 14:12:05 EEST 2020

Am 05.08.20 um 12:20 schrieb Nicolas George:
> jacky renaux (12020-08-05):
>> hI ? as you might know due to the coronavirus, universities are closed and
>> in France it is vacation period . I am not a system engineer just a ffmpeg
>> user . I cannot get system eng support at a present time and do prepar the
>> september time where we will need visio conférences. I am a old retired guy
>> "working " in a non profit organisation tight to an university. I do not
>> have the background you have this is why I tried to compile in $HOME just to
>> not kill what as been done by "professionnal"
>
> I do not see why your status as an old retired guy prevents you from
> learning. Quite the opposite, you probably have more time and less
> external pressure.
>
> But do not about this particular issue: the advice to build a package is
> bad. Installing in $HOME is perfectly fine.

WTF

whenever you do "make install" on a destinaton machine you are doing it
wrong - without any exceptions!

* you don't need compilers/devel-packages on the target
* you should not install comoilers at all on the target
* you can easily downgrade and upgrade
* you get proper dependency checks

"the advice to build a package is bad" is one of the dumbest things i
heard for a long time

there is no law that a package needs to spit any file into /usr/bin at all

when it comes to dependencies and a random idiot removes a system
package which seems not to be required by anything your holy binary in
$HOME is broken

won't happen with a self built package and technically tehre is not much
difference in writing a random script or a spec file besides that error
in context of rpmbuild become visible