[FFmpeg-user] Impossible to get the bit depth value of an audio-file with ffprobe

scrutinizer iljashebalin2 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 20:18:49 EEST 2020

If the option in question indeed is available then it’s undocumented. The ffprobe help reveals the following usage:

Global options (affect whole program instead of just one file):
-loglevel loglevel  set logging level
-v loglevel         set logging level
-report             generate a report
-max_alloc bytes    set maximum size of a single allocated block
-y                  overwrite output files
-n                  never overwrite output files
-ignore_unknown     Ignore unknown stream types
-filter_threads     number of non-complex filter threads
-filter_complex_threads  number of threads for -filter_complex
-stats              print progress report during encoding
-max_error_rate maximum error rate  ratio of errors (0.0: no errors, 1.0: 100% errors) above which ffmpeg returns an error instead of success.
-bits_per_raw_sample number  set the number of bits per raw sample
-vol volume         change audio volume (256=normal)

There’s bits_per_raw_sample but no bits_per_sample. And the same is true for the video options - no bits_per_sample.