[FFmpeg-user] Compression is a lot smaller

Simon Roberts simon at dancingcloudservices.com
Sat Aug 15 16:27:07 EEST 2020

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 5:01 AM Cecil Westerhof <Cecil at decebal.nl> wrote:

> Through scripts I use ffmpeg for cutting and compressing videos and
> sometimes adding a watermark. Nothing fancy, but handy.
>
> In the past the original file was between 4 to 13 times bigger as the
> compressed file. Today I compressed a few files again. The compression
> was almost non existing to less as three.

[...]

What could be happening here?

The most immediate thought is that zoom improved their compression
algorithm and now there's not so much room left for a secondary
improvement.

You might want to take a look at the original, perhaps using ffprobe, to
determine what codec was used, and what bitrate it started out with.