[FFmpeg-user] Why is format=rgb24 required after maskedmerge?

Gyan Doshi ffmpeg at gyani.pro
Fri Aug 21 22:38:48 EEST 2020

On 21-08-2020 11:27 pm, Mark Filipak wrote:
> On 08/21/2020 12:34 PM, Michael Koch wrote:

>>> It would be cumbersome, having someone else merge the changes in a
>>> git repo.
>>>
>>> What concerns do you have about using git?
>>
>> I don't understand how git works. Have tried it some time ago, but
>> didn't work, so I gave up. No good instructions available. A second
>> computer with Linux seems to be required. Too complicated. I have no
>> experience with Linux. I know C and C# programming, but I'm not a
>> professional programmer. The page
>> https://www.ffmpeg.org/git-howto.html was obviously not written for
>> beginners. Many terms are introduced without explaining them, and
>> examples are missing.
>>
>> Michael
>
> Git mystifies me, too. I also did a lot of reading but it was written
> my Martians.

For the purposes of only generating doc patches, you only need to know
and apply a handful of git commands.
Most of the supposed difficulties of working with git revolves around
nonlinear histories. I see very little potential for that with pure docs
work.

You aren't tied to linux either.  ffmpeg is perfectly compile-able and
testable on Windows. I do it regularly, but even that's not needed here.

It's nice to know help is available, and that's appreciated. But let me
first look around at my old notes and see what all needs to be done.
What can be done in the meantime is for someone to start a wiki or blog
or forum and solicit, collect & curate requests for documentation changes.
What do users most want answered or documented first?

Gyan