[FFmpeg-user] ? About ffmpeg's prores implemention

Paul B Mahol onemda at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 11:34:46 EEST 2020

On 8/28/20, Phil Rhodes via ffmpeg-user <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org> wrote:

> The ProRes implementation is not likely to be perfect in terms of Apple's
> internal spec. They do not publish the spec so we don't know. In general, it
> has been shown to be reasonably reliable when used with most software
> decoders. It has had problems in the past (I haven't checked for years) in
> playback on hardware devices such as Atomos and AJA recorders. It is
> possible to set ffmpeg up to create ProRes-like files that are wildly out of
> spec and are unlikely to play back satisfactorily on anything, but with
> sensible setup it's generally fine. "It's generally fine" is all you're
> getting, sadly. I use it freely in situations where I will have an
> opportunity to fix problems as they occur (they never have) but I would
> hesitate to use it, for instance, for submission of a final master to
> someone.
> In general it's very difficult to figure out exactly when something has
> changed in a particular part of ffmpeg as no change log is published, at
> least nothing which calls out "we have changed something which affects
> prores," but the behaviour of the ProRes implementation has not changed in a

Unlike Apple, everything about ProRes implementation in FFmpeg is open [1].

Your comment that there is not changelog for ProRes in FFmpeg is very unhelpful
and even with unclear intentions.

[1] list of changes:

http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=history;f=libavcodec/proresdata.h;hb=HEAD
http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=history;f=libavcodec/proresdata.c;hb=HEAD