[FFmpeg-user] META: Courtesy and code of conduct

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 21:51:32 EET 2020

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not an established member of
this community, and I may be completely off the mark here. If so, my
apologies, and do please let me know how things are done here.

According to my reading of the mailing list FAQ (linked at the bottom
of each post), members are expected to adhere to the Code of Conduct.

https://ffmpeg.org/developer.html#Code-of-conduct

One person here has been repeatedly (and gratuitously) insulting and
unhelpful, denigrating people for not "empowering themselves". But
from my experience, one of the very best ways to empower yourself is
to learn from those who know more than you do - for instance, by
asking questions on a mailing list. We didn't all start with immense
knowledge of how to use Unix, and it shouldn't be a prerequisite of
FFMPEG that we have to already know all the subtleties of various
operating systems.

At the risk of asking a stupid question and incurring his wrath, who
is Reindl Harald and what is his relationship with the FFMPEG project?
Does he own this mailing list, or the code, or anything like that?
Searching the web showed up some interesting, but not overly helpful,
results. Does FFMPEG consider Reindl Harald to be its spokesman?

Chris Angelico