[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg x265 report v. '-x265-params' -- guide desired

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 10:57:18 EET 2020

> Am 12.12.2020 um 00:38 schrieb Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) <markfilipak at bog.us>:
>
> I did a transcode from H.264 to H.265 via Handbrake, then tried ffmpeg. Results:
>  74,903,299 bytes  made_via_handbrake.mkv   ...beautiful
>  25,038,616 bytes  made_via_ffmpeg.mkv   ...a bit of plastic-face -- full output at end
>
> So, I need to tweak ffmpeg's x265 parameters, but how?

It is very difficult to answer such a generic question and the list you posted contains some settings that you cannot control. And since they are the settings used by x265 with FFmpeg (and not the settings used by x265 with HandBrake), it’s not easily possible to use them as reference.

I would have expected that you ask something like:
„I tested HandBrake and found that setting the RF quality was the only setting that makes a real difference: How do I set RF to 22 with FFmpeg?“
The answer would be:
„Use -crf 22“

There is also a preset setting that defaults to medium but knows values such as slow, slower and veryslow.

Carl Eugen