[FFmpeg-user] Couple of questions about GIFs

MediaMouth communque at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 22:02:17 EET 2020

On Dec 20, 2020, at 11:40 AM, Micael Silva <micaelsilva at gmail.com> wrote:

> I’m not so sure, but I think that no sound MP4 can autoplay. I’ve seen situations like these before.

Yeah, a quick, non-exhaustive test on MacOS 10.15.7 gave the following

Safari: Autoplay works, whether sound set to 0 or not
Chrome & Firefox: Autoplay will play when volume is set to 0.  Otherwise it will not.

Setting the "volume to 0" is not the same as setting the attribute 'muted' to 'true'.
in other words <video autoplay="true" muted="true"></video> is not sufficient to trigger autoplay.

This is beyond FFmpeg issues, but it's interesting.

Thanks again for your insights.